Health and safety

Overseas Student Health Insurance (OSHC)

As an international student, it’s a condition of your student visa that you obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the length of your student visa. You must purchase OSHC from a government-approved provider before arriving in Australia.

Students with queries related to COVID-19 and how it affects your Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) should visit the FAQs on the Curtin COVID-19 advice website, or contact your insurance provider.

OSHC is a specific type of health insurance that international students must have before arriving in Australia. It includes insurance cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines).

Hear what our students have to say about health insurance

Who needs OSHC

All international students must obtain OSHC that covers themselves and their accompanying dependants before arriving in Australia.

Services covered by OSHC

OSHC providers allow you to claim 100 per cent of the government set fee for a standard medical consultation.

OSHC covers:

  • visits to the doctor
  • public hospital stay
  • ambulance services (when hospital admission is necessary)
  • some prescription medicines.

OSHC does not cover:

  • dental treatment
  • optical treatment
  • physiotherapy.

We strongly recommend you take out additional private health cover to cover these additional services.

Most standard OSHC premiums do not cover treatment for pre-existing disability or medical conditions during the first 18 months of membership. If you have disabilities or medical conditions you may have to obtain additional health insurance or have extra funds available to cover your medical expenses.

Duration of OSHC

You need to have OSHC for the duration of your student visa. It will be activated when you land in Australia.

However, it is important to note that a qualifying period may apply for some services.

If you renew your visa offshore, or take a leave of absence from your studies and have a new visa issued from abroad, you may be subject to another qualifying period for some services.

You will be entitled to a refund of any outstanding balance if you leave Australia before you originally intended, provided there is at least one month remaining before your health cover expires. You should pay the premiums for your OSHC when you accept your offer of a place at Curtin.

Where to purchase OSHC

You must purchase OSHC from a government-approved provider. You should compare alternative OSHC providers to find one that suits your budget and needs.

Approved providers:

Curtin can process payments for Bupa, as it is Curtin’s preferred provider. If you wish to use another OSHC provider, you need to make your own payment arrangements and show evidence of payment for your visa application. Student Exchange and Study Abroad students are responsible for arranging their own health cover directly with the OSHC provider.

For frequently asked questions and more detailed information visit the Department of Home Affairs website health information section.

On-campus OSHC support

If you are with Bupa, an on-campus representative can assist you with:

  • OSHC renewals
  • ordering or collecting a membership card
  • cash claims
  • claiming
  • holiday credits
  • general information.

For Bupa representative availability times, please visit the Current Students website.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) refunds

OSHC refunds can be applied through Curtin International in the below cases:

  • if a student does not have a Bupa policy number
  • if a student has made an extra payment for OSHC
  • if a student has not been granted a student visa
  • if an international student is overseas and has withdrawn prior to commencement of their course
  • if a student does not hold a student visa and has made payment for OSHC.



Buy OSHC Logo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *