OSHC is insurance to assist international students in meeting the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia. International students in Australia must hold OSHC for the duration of their stay in Australia, as a condition of their student visa.
An estimated OSHC premium is provided to students in their JCU Letter of Offer, along with further details about how make any adjustments to cover as required, including adding family members to your policy.
Most students are required to pay the OSHC premium upon acceptance of the JCU offer. If you are applying through a partner institution, or have an official sponsorship recognised by JCU, payment will be arranged in accordance with the relevant agreement.
There are some exceptions where the Department of Home Affairs recognises a suitable alternative health cover arrangement, including:
- Belgian students not required to purchase OSHC as they meet the health insurance requirement on the basis of the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between Belgium and Australia
- Norwegian students who have health cover with the approved home government insurer
- Swedish students covered by Kammarkollegiet are exempt from the requirement for OSHC
Your Allianz policy
If JCU is arranging your OSHC, we will use our preferred partner for OSHC which is Allianz Care
In most cases, your policy will not be established until your enrolment is finalised and you are admitted into your program at JCU. When you are admitted at JCU, you will be able to access your JCU email account and you should find that you have received an email from Allianz containing welcome information and a copy of your Certificate of Insurance. It will also include instructions for how to apply for a membership card and make changes to your policy information. If you do not receive this email, please advise your Admissions officer or the Student Support team.
Allianz provides a comprehensive service for JCU students, including:
- A smartphone app for claims, and finding medical providers
- A 24/7 helpline
- Renewals if you are staying in Australia longer than originally planned
Further information, policy documents and members guides
Visit Allianz Care