Health and safety

Overseas Student Health Cover

Student Health Insurance, a mandatory condition of your Student Visa.

If you’re planning on starting your education in Australia, it’s vital to ensure that you’ve got your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) sorted. Failing to arrange for private health cover for yourself and any other dependents (such as your spouse/partner and/or dependent children) is a direct breach of Condition 8501 on your Student Visa.

How Would I Go About Doing This?

There are essentially two ways to ensure you’ve got your OSHC sorted. You can either do it on your own by directly liaising with the Australian Health Providers who specialise in Overseas Student Health Cover or work with your Education Provider/ Agent if this is something they can help with.

Although it’s not a requirement for your Education Provider/Agent to do so, it’s a real given god-sent when they do!  Thankfully for you, our VEVS Enrolments Team are happy to coordinate this on your behalf and liaise with the relevant Health Providers to get this sorted, both for you and any dependents on your application.

A Trusted Partner of BUPA Insurance

We’ve been working with BUPA Insurance through the years and we’re definitely advocates of their products. BUPA provides a range of products applicable to the OSHC and most importantly, offers the minimum cover to ensure that you remain compliant with condition 8501.

Depending on your choice of cover, there are a range of products you can choose from providing varying levels of medical and hospital cover for Student visa holders and their dependents.

Our Enrolments Team will work with you to explore and secure the most competitively priced OSHC to span the entire period of your stay in Australia. Don’t fret, you’re always in safe hands.

If I’m Visiting Australia, Will I need Insurance?

If you hail from a country that isn’t a party to Reciprocal Health Care Arrangements with Australia, then you will need to arrange for your own private health insurance to cover your entire stay in Australia. This ensures that if you run into unfortunate accidents or illnesses, you will have access to private medical care in Australia and may not be subject to significant out-of-pocket expenses.

However, if your country of citizenship does have Reciprocal Health Care Arrangement in place, you won’t have to worry as you and any dependents names on your visa application will be eligible to access medical care under the Australian Medicare system. At present, there are just 11 countries who are parties to the Agreement, they are:

  • Belgium
  • Finland
  • Italy
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Slovenia
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom


Buy OSHC Logo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *